In Northern Canada, legal issues are often complex and interrelated. BLG’s Team North® has a thorough understanding of the rapid pace of socio-political, commercial and environmental developments in Northern Canada. Our Team North® offers you expertise from multiple practice areas and industries, across Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, Yukon, and the upper regions of many provinces.
The group undertakes a multi-faceted approach to issues in the North. Our knowledge base is derived from a combination of involvement with business transactions in Canada’s north, and from our analysis and recommendations for the management of northern business and regulatory issues. We can provide you with a full range of services, including:
- Mining and resource based industries
- Marine and land transportation
- Procurement and related processes
- Environmental and other permitting and approval processes
- Aboriginal law, land claims issues, and leasing and property rights
- Constitutional Issues and legislative review
- Regulatory regimes and tax
- Climate change and green initiatives
- Labour and employment, and pensions
We have experience serving industries in Canada's North, including oil and gas, energy, mining, governments, communications, health services, education, transportation and financial services. We have also provided advice to municipalities located in the Territories, Territorial governments and aboriginal organizations on a broad range of issues and legislative areas.