Sandra works closely with the lawyers in the Commercial Litigation and Estates Disputes practice groups. She assists on all stages of litigation including document collection, discovery, mediation, arbitration and trial. She manages large document files and deals with various courts including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and Court of Appeal for Ontario, and administrative tribunals.
On behalf of her clients, she regularly:
- drafts pleadings
- prepares files for examinations for discovery including preparation of discovery plans and affidavits of documents
- prepares charts for undertakings, advisements and refusals
- drafts various applications, motions, supporting affidavits and cost outlines for hearings
- prepares files for mediation including preparation, review and organization of documents, memoranda and scheduling of witnesses
- prepares materials for appeal hearings including appeal books and compendia
- prepares files for trial including scheduling issues, liaising with counsel and court, communications with experts, summoning and preparing witnesses, preparing certification and pre-trial memoranda, notices, documents and issue briefs and trial preparation
- obtains and enforces judgments, including preparing and filing writs of seizure and sale, garnishment, examination in aid of execution, seizure of assets, and sale of personal property
- oversees and manages large, complex, technologically dependent commercial litigation files
- liaises with clients, counsel and courts
Prior to joining BLG, Sandra worked with a mid-size firm in Toronto within civil litigation and administrative law.
In addition to her responsibilities as paraprofessional with BLG, Sandra is a mentor for incoming law clerks and law clerk students.