Whether you are looking to set up an investment fund in Canada, need help with understanding whether you need to register to operate your business and how to comply with regulatory requirements, or are looking to enter the Canadian market from abroad, we understand the business, regulatory and administrative issues that affect you.
With over 60 years’ experience, BLG’s large team is rated by Chambers Canada as one of Canada’s best law firms for investment funds and asset management.We provide clients with national, multi-dimensional legal services in a disciplined, cost effective manner.
We have expertise in the regulatory and legal issues related to the creation and ongoing operation of:
- mutual funds, including ETFs and alternative funds
- pooled funds and hedged funds
- closed-end funds and other listed investment issuers
- private equity/venture funds
- real estate funds
- scholarship plans
We also understand the registration, licencing and compliance requirements that must be adhered to in order to do business in Canada – as a dealer, as an adviser and/or as an investment fund manager. We have the largest group of lawyers dedicated to this practice in Canada.
Our clients, both Canadian and international, include:
- investment fund managers
- portfolio managers and sub-advisers
- IIROC, MFDA and exempt market dealers
- financial institutions
- industry service providers
- securities regulators
- self-regulatory organizations
- industry trade associations
We also work closely with Canadian securities regulators and other government officials.
BLG or members of our Investment Management Team are members of:
- The Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC)
- the Portfolio Management Association of Canada (PMAC)
- the Canadian ETF Association (CETFA)
- the Alternative Investment Management Association of Canada (AIMA Canada)
- the National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP)
- the International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (ISDA)
- the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
We regularly participate in their industry committees and conferences.