Craig practises tax law with an emphasis on investment funds and structured investment products.
He also has experience in the areas of derivatives, REITs, structured finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, and charities and non-profits.
Within BLG, Craig is the National Business Leader of our Tax Group.
- Dealing with all tax aspects of investment funds, including tax effective structuring techniques.
- Advising on the tax aspects of innovative fund structures, including: mutual fund switch corporations, clone funds, hedge funds, multi-class funds and reduced management fee structures, derivative based funds, rollover funds, fund-on-fund structures, mutual fund based split-share corporations and other structured investment products.
- Advising on the tax implications and benefits regarding the use of derivative instruments within investment fund vehicles.
- Advising on financing techniques to fund deferred sales commissions; including limited partnerships, income trusts and securitization.
Beyond our Walls
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Participant, Taxation Working Group, The Investment Funds Institute of Canada
- Governor, Bishop Strachan School
- Director, BLG Foundation
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized as a 2019 Acritas Star.
- Recognized in the 2019 edition (and since 2013) of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Investment Funds & Asset Management).
- Recognized in the 2018 edition of The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Investment Funds & Asset Management).
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Tax Law).
Bar Admission & Education
- Ontario, 1993
- LLB, University of Western Ontario, 1991
- BA (Hons.), University of Western Ontario, 1988