Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Business Analyst, Digital Hub.
Purpose of the Role
The Business Analyst’s role is to elicit, analyze, specify, and validate the business needs of project stakeholders. This includes interviewing stakeholders, and gathering and compiling user requirements to convey to development teams throughout the software lifecycle. The Business Analyst will also apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help support the development process, and to ensure that project deliverables are met according to specifications through involvement in QA and testing processes. The Business Analyst will play a pivotal role in ensuring understanding of business requirements.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Strategy and Planning
- Collaborate with project and initiative teams, product owners (Agile) and/or project sponsors (Waterfall) as required to determine overall project scope and vision.
- Clearly identify project stakeholders and establish user classes, as well as their characteristics.
- Conduct interviews to gather user requirements through workshops, questionnaires, surveys, site visits, process maps, workflow storyboards, use cases, scenarios, and other methods.
- Identify and establish the scope and parameters of requirements analysis on a project-by-project basis to define project impact, outcome criteria, and appropriate metrics.
- Work with stakeholders and the project team to prioritize collected requirements.
- [Appropriate to more senior role - research, review, and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing requirements gathering processes and develop strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes.]
- Analyze and verify requirements for completeness, consistency, comprehensibility, feasibility, and conformity to applicable standards.
- Develop and utilize standard templates to accurately and concisely write requirements specifications as required.
- Translate conceptual user requirements into functional requirements in a clear manner that is comprehensible to developers/the project team.
- Where applicable, develop prototypes of interfaces and attributes based on the user requirements.
- Where applicable, create process models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to developers and/or the project team.
- Where applicable, develop and conduct peer reviews of the business requirements to ensure that requirement specifications are correctly interpreted.
- Assist with the interpretation of user requirements into feasible options, and communicate these back to the business stakeholders.
- Manage and track the status of requirements throughout the project lifecycle; enforce and redefine as necessary.
Acquisition and Deployment
- Engage with vendors and other strategic partners in order to: assess new technology solutions and business opportunities
- Assist in conducting research on software and hardware products to meet agreed-upon requirements and to support purchasing efforts.
- Participate in the QA of purchased solutions (including new versions of existing software) to ensure that the features and functions are enabled and optimized.
- Communicate changes, enhancements, and modifications of business requirements – verbally or through written documentation – to project managers, product owners, sponsors, and other stakeholders so that issues and solutions are understood.
- Where applicable, work with other Business Services teams on deployment readiness
- Manage communication associated with upgrades/new releases of legal technology software
- Manage escalation of incidents associated with upgrades
- Provide guidance and/or instruction to junior team members and student interns
- Participate in the day-to-day support and capacity planning of the Digital Hub
- Identify innovation opportunities to feed to relevant Digital Hub colleagues
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate documentation and reference materials
- Continually facilitate knowledge transfer, sharing, and innovation within the Knowledge and Innovation team and across the Firm
The key competencies of this role are:
- University Degree or College Diploma in Information Technology (or equivalent work experience and/or certificates)
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to understand and deliver exceptional client service
- Strong consultative and communication skills, analytical ability, decisiveness, judgment, and the ability to work effectively with lawyers, IT, Business Services staff, and vendors
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical users
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, supporting multiple initiatives simultaneously, and prioritizing work to meet and/or exceed established service levels
- Ability to think logically and creatively in problem solving
- A strong team player with excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills along with the ability to multi-task various priorities
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, follow instructions with minimal guidance
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to set priorities while maintaining flexibility
- High degree of initiative and self-management required
- Significant experience in technology advisory roles where you're helping solve business problems through the application of technology
- Ability to effectively bridge the gap between business and technology practice teams
- Solid IT experience with demonstrated IT Transformation experience in customer-facing roles
- Strong legal systems, processes and computer programming or engineering backgrounds
- Understanding of emerging legal technologies with the ability to conduct assessments and provide strategies around effective use-cases, investment and implementations
- Demonstrated blend of business and technical experience
- Strong understanding of Analytics solutions
- Systems integration experience involving on-premise technology and cloud platforms
- Strong presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with business, technical, architectural, and executive audiences
- Experience working closely with business and technical stakeholders to translate strategic objectives into implementable roadmaps and designs
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Effective June 27, 2022, BLG has suspended its current vaccine policy mandate. As the pandemic is not over, the safety of Firm members and the BLG community remains our top priority. Given the ever-evolving nature of the situation, we will continue to closely monitor health conditions and, if necessary, implement new measures to protect Firm members. While is it not a condition of employment, we would appreciate reviewing your most recent proof of vaccine if available.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.