Purpose of the Role
As part of the intranet operations team, you will help maintain and develop the firm’s intranet and provide input on the overall direction for the platform. This includes helping to identify pain points as well as logging and testing improvements and fixes. This role also assists with day-to-day operations and provides support for the firm’s content publisher community (over 100 users), content owners, as well as the firm’s intranet users across all offices. This one-year contract opportunity will require in-office and remote work.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Assisting with research into new functionality and software to address identified issues and gaps in services.
- Providing recommendations on future development and opportunities to expand services.
- Assisting with search optimization.
- Assisting with the creation of governance and other team documents and presentations.
- Providing ongoing support and developing resources for the community of intranet publishers.
- Working with owners to develop new intranet pages and redesign existing pages as well as working with IT and content publishers to complete the changes.
- Quickly and efficiently resolving requests for assistance from users, content publishers, and owners with problems or questions, escalating or redirecting as necessary, and following through to resolution.
- Logging and tracking issues and enhancements.
- Assisting with the testing and implementation of new functionality.
- Helping administer content throughout its lifecycle, from publication to expiration.
- Other projects, as required.
- Master’s degree in Library Science, Information Management, Knowledge Management or related area of study, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General understanding of cataloguing, information architecture and metadata principles.
- General understanding of content management, search, and classification principles.
- Interest in web publishing, content management systems, taxonomy, and metadata.
- Patient and positive attitude when helping users learn and adopt technology tools.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical users and the ability to work and communicate with users of all levels with a high level of professionalism.
- Adept at quickly picking up new technologies and skills.
- Established knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with basic HTML is an asset but not required.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to adapt to changing requirements and prioritize accordingly.
- A motivated self-starter who is able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment; with strong attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Bilingualism is an asset but not required.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.