BLG Beyond is an alternative legal service platform that supports a suite of innovative services, which deliver value-added, cost-effective solutions for clients. BLG Beyond (Beyond) combines BLG’s proven expert advice with best practices and technology to deliver efficient, high-impact work to meet and exceed our clients’ needs in a constantly changing environment.
We are a future-minded Firm delivering high-value advice and known for our unwavering commitment to innovation, diversity and inclusion, community involvement and talent development.
Beyond Consulting optimizes the way our clients’ businesses operate by providing advisory services to help identify, implement and sustain change for the better.
Learn more about us at BLG Beyond.
Purpose of the Role
The Project Manager, BLG Beyond Consulting will provide support and trusted advisory services to the Beyond Consulting leaders and our clients.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to assist with managing implementation of projects of varying sizes and types, to manage smaller mandates and work streams, and to assist with business development for consulting services, both internally within BLG and BLG Beyond and with clients.
Together, we go beyond.
Right from the start, with the strength of our people, you will be part of a creative team where the impact of each team member’s attitude and productivity is exponential.
The successful candidate will bring a consulting mindset - prepared to try new things and think creatively, and is committed to implementing new processes and technologies to service and exceed clients’ goals, both internal and external.
This is a national role, residing in BLG Beyond, and the incumbent may be required to travel (maximum 25% of time).
The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Develop and execute project plans that address scope, risk, and schedule in accordance with PMO standards and guidelines
- Work directly on client and internal engagements across multiple project types, creating deliverables, leading project activities in support of engagement leader
- Understand critical business issues within BLG, BLG Beyond and clients’ organizations
- Develop and maintain relationships with key client contacts, and internal sponsors and stakeholders of key projects
- Track and report project performance against plans and recommend effective corrective action as required, providing a comprehensive and prioritized view of all projects including project status and health, resource availability, cost management and performance metrics
- Lead and manage the elicitation and validation of business requirements
- Evaluate risks by identifying and analyzing gaps between current and desired end state
- Plan and lead internal and external workshops
- Conduct interviews with key stakeholders (internal and external) to achieve project goals
- Bring together various SMEs to meet project goals, prepare for discussions and ensure they meet required outcomes
- Develop recommendations to stakeholders related to internal and external client projects or initiatives, considering their points of view and project and program risks
- Provide input from project management point of view to enrich the outcome of the project and further collaborate with teams
- Align outputs to service levels of Beyond Consulting and different client expectations, identify opportunities for continuous improvement and solicit feedback from clients on expectations
- Proactively identify areas for continuous improvement in the provision of Management expertise to clients (internal and external)
- Balance changing priorities based on external and internal client demands in conjunction with team members
- Draft key project communications
- Provide both strategic and tactical support
Management of Mandates and Workstreams:
- Develop approach and implementation tactics to execute consulting mandates, managing input from key stakeholders
- Manage multiple client and internal engagements
- Measure project progress, client benefits and budget expectation achievement
- Identify and manage key risks to timeline, scope and deliverables as they pertain to consulting engagements
- Monitor and manage engagement financials and profitability
- Quickly adapt to different client contexts and guide colleagues on these contexts, understand critical business issues and provide relevant advice on key business challenges
- Ensure Head of Beyond Consulting is apprised of stakeholder challenges, contribute ideas to mitigation
- Support business development activities (e.g. proposal development) to win external consulting opportunities
- Identify opportunities to leverage existing mandates for the addition of consulting mandates as appropriate; bring these opportunities to the attention of the Beyond leaders
- Build and develop internal and external SME networks to facilitate client (internal and external) work
- Stay ahead of changes and trends in the ALSP, legal and consulting industry through appropriate research and reports
- Contribute new ideas for services and/or client engagement to team members
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of BLG and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Project management experience comprised of both internal and external engagements
- 5-10 years of proven business or project management experience; Consulting experience preferred
- Experience delivering business transformations in a professional services environment preferred
- Advanced knowledge of the principles and frameworks of successful project management, in addition to business transformations
- Advanced knowledge of change management theory, practices, and their application in a professional services environment
- Proven experience in providing service to internal stakeholders and external clients to achieve successful project and program outcomes
- Experience with project and program delivery and acceptance processes within a fast-paced professional services environment, ideally with experience in a legal firm or partnership setting
- Demonstrated strength in problem solving, decision making, and sound judgment
- Strong professional presence and ability to uphold the Firm’s standards of business and personal conduct
- Ability to maintain a high level of strict confidentiality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage direct or indirect reports in a professional and consistently supportive manner
- Strong collaboration and team skills
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient
- A “can do” attitude and willingness to go the extra mile when required
- Experienced user of MS Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to learn and succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible in working style and willing to learn new ways, methods and approaches
- Innovative and creative thinker
- High degree of personal confidence and drive
- Versatile and able to manage multiple priorities across numerous possible project types with minimal guidance
- PMI, Prosci, CAPM and/or PBA certifications are preferred
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.