Melissa advises public and private Canadian and foreign-based clients in a wide range of industries, including technology, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and the hospitality industry.
Her clients range from small start-up private entities to large multinational companies. Many of her public clients are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, the TSX Venture Exchange, Canadian Stock Exchange and foreign stock exchanges.
In BLG's Calgary office, Melissa is the Regional Group Manager of our Capital Markets and Corporate Commercial Group, the Co-Leader of BLG's Driven by Women Initiative, and the Co-Chair of BLG's Pro Bono Committee.
- Red Cloud Securities, in connection with a bought deal private placement of a TSX listed mining company.
- Radicle Group Inc., a private company focused on cleantech, renewable and sustainable technologies and services, in connection with acquisitions, both Canadian and international, equity financing and general corporate advisory services.
- FireFox Gold Corp. in respect of its initial public offering (IPO) and concurrent listing on the TSXV.
- Acting in connection with the listing of Millennial Precious Metals on the TSXV together with a concurrent equity financing.
- Acting for Fortescue Metals Group, in respect of various corporate, resource and securities matters.
- SoLVBL Solutions Inc., a cybersecurity company, in connection with reverse takeover of public entity and listing on CSE.
- Acting for Skeena Resources Ltd., in respect of various corporate, resource and securities matters.
- Mainstreet Equity Corp., a Toronto Stock Exchange listed company, in connection with various securities law matters, including compliance with continuous disclosure requirements.
- A publicly listed fintech company in Australia, in connection with a potential equity financing and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Trellis (formerly Boys & Girls Clubs of Calgary), in connection with its merger with Aspen Family and Community Network.
- Advising a multinational online payment platform in respect of cryptocurrency regulation in Canada.
- A private multinational software company in connection to its significant acquisition of a private company in the software sector.
- Acting for Otso Gold Corp. in respect of a proposed equity financing.
- Multiple Capital Pool Companies and private targets in respect of Qualifying Transactions on the TSXV.
- PesoRama Inc., a retailer with operations in Mexico, in connection with multiple financings and general corporate governance matters.
- XPEL Technologies Corp. in connection with the acquisition of a Canadian private company and a private placement.
- A private healthcare data analytics company based in the United States, in connection with a potential cross border reverse takeover and listing on a Canadian stock exchange.
- The agents in connection with C$84 million short-form prospectus financing of Blackbird Energy Inc.
- A number of issuers in the cannabis and hemp industries, including licensed producers, retailers, and vertically integrated entities.
- Questerre Energy Corp., an oil and gas company dual-listed (TSX and Oslo Stock Exchange), in respect of securities compliance matters, continuous disclosure obligations and multiple private placement and prospectus offerings.
- SDX Energy Inc., a dual-listed (TSXV and AIM) international oil and gas company with assets in Egypt and Morocco, acted as Canadian counsel.
- Arsenal Energy in connection with the cross-border plan of arrangement and merger transaction with Lone Pine Resources Canada Ltd. and its affiliates to form Prairie Provident Resources Inc., a Toronto Stock Exchange listed issuer.
- A TSX Venture Exchange listed corporation in connection with the acquisition of mining interests in Mali.
- Western Energy Services Corp. with respect to its private offering of senior notes for gross proceeds of approximately C$91.5 million.
- Both sellers and buyers in connection with the sale of various professional practices, including oral surgeons, dentists, optometrists and architects.
- Multiple buyers and sellers of private companies by way of share or asset sales, amalgamations, take-over bids and plans of arrangements.
- Represented shareholders (including minority shareholders) in respect of various corporate matters, including shareholder disputes.
- Both agents and issuers in connection with capital pool companies, both in respect of the initial public offering and the subsequent qualifying transaction.
Beyond Our Walls
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Co-Lead, BLG Driven by Women - Calgary
- Director, Storybook Theatre Society
- Director, Fast & Female
- Director, Canadian Blockchain Association of Women
- Past Chair, Student Recruitment Committee
Bar Admission & Education
- Alberta, 2005
- LLB, University of Calgary, 2004
- B.Sc., University of British Columbia, 2000