Buying and selling natural gas in Canada can be a complex process. Whether you are an energy supplier, energy consumer, commodities trader or financial institution, it is crucial to have a legal partner that offers practical and innovative solutions, protects your interests, and stays up-to-date on industry challenges and trends.
Our team of experienced gas contracting lawyers have worked with clients for many years in the purchase and sale of natural gas in Canada. They also advise on agreements necessary for transporting and storing natural gas, as well as the associated permits and regulatory approvals.
We review and provide advice on the GasEDI Base Contract, the North American Energy Standards Board Base Contract (NAESB) and the ISDA North American Gas Annex. We have assisted clients in negotiating and finalizing contracts with the counterparties listed below:
- Altagas Energy Limited Partnership
- BG Energy Merchants Canada, Ltd.
- BP Canada Energy Company
- Cargill Ltd.
- Castleton Commodities
- Conoco Phillips Canada Ltd.
- Direct Energy Marketing Ltd.
- DTE Energy Trading, Inc.
- EDF Trading North America
- Emera Energy Inc.
- EQT Energy, LLC
- Freepoint Commodities LLC
- Gibson Energy Partnership
- Husky Energy Marketing Inc.
- Koch Canada Energy Services, LP
- Mercuria Commodities Canada Corporation
- NextEra Energy Marketing, LLC
- Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Shell Energy North America (Canada) Inc.
- TD Energy Trading Inc.
- Tenaska Marketing Canada, a div. of TMV Corp.
- Tidal Energy Marketing Inc.
- TransAlta Energy Marketing Corp.
- Twin Eagle Resource Management Canada, LLC
Our clients also count on us to assist them with negotiating any credit-related issues, including credit annexes and forms of performance security (e.g. guarantees).