Emma's practice focuses on municipal and land-use planning issues and related litigation. She regularly acts for municipalities, as well as land owners, to resolve significant issues relating to infrastructure projects and real estate acquisition, expropriation, land use planning and development approvals.
Emma appears regularly before municipal councils, Committees of Adjustment, the Conservation Review Board and the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT, formerly the Ontario Municipal Board). She is actively involved in using mediation and negotiation to resolve disputes between parties.
- Representing municipalities and landowners before LPAT in land-use planning disputes.
- Conducting expropriations on behalf of municipalities.
- Advising municipalities with respect to the development and adoption of rate structures for water, wastewater and stormwater services and development charges.
- Drafting development agreements, including cost sharing agreements, subdivision agreements and site plan agreements.
- Negotiating complex agreements with crown corporations, federal ministries and other major public institutions.
Beyond Our Walls
- Member, Canadian Bar Association and the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA)
- Member, Greater Ottawa Home Builders Association (Builder Developer Committee)
- Member, Women in Land Development
- Member, Ontario Expropriation Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2021 edition (and since 2017) of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Infrastructure Law, Property Development)
- Recognized as a 2020 Lexpert® Rising Star.
- Recognized in the 2020 (and since 2017) edition of Lexpert®/ROB Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers.
Bar Admission & Education
- Ontario, 2007
- LLB, McGill University, 2006
- BCL, McGill University, 2006
- BA, Queen's University, 2002