Rick practises environmental law with an emphasis on environmental aspects of major development initiatives and transactions involving heavy industry, transportation, energy and infrastructure projects, and brownfields redevelopment.
With members of BLG's litigation practice groups, he also acts as defence counsel on regulatory prosecutions and in civil actions.
- Environmental aspects of numerous corporate, commercial and real estate transactions, including the conduct of extensive environmental due diligence in connection with Canada-wide acquisitions and financing transactions.
- Environmental approvals for major construction and energy projects and operating permits.
- Civil actions (including class actions) and regulatory proceedings relating to alleged spills and contaminant migration.
- Spill reporting and emergency response requirements.
- Assessment and management of endangered species issues.
- Full range of land and planning approvals, including official plan and group amendments, site plan control, and building permit issue.
Beyond Our Walls
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2020 edition (and since 2014) of Best Lawyers in Canada (Environmental Law, Municipal Law).
- Recognized in the 2019 and previous editions of the Lexpert Special Edition - Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers.
- Recognized in the 2019 edition of the Lexpert Special Edition - Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers.
- Recognized in the 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Environmental Law).
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
- Recognized in the 2014 and 2013 editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Environmental Law).
Bar Admission & Education
- Ontario, 1990
- LLB, University of Toronto, 1988
- MA, University of Toronto, 1981