Environmental regulation in Canada is a complex, multi-jurisdictional field, and even diligent operators may face sudden and unexpected events requiring an immediate response. It is essential to have trusted, experienced counsel to provide informed advice and vigilant representation when the need arises.
We are leaders in environmental litigation, regulatory defence and dispute resolution. Our collaborative, multidisciplinary team includes litigators with experience acting in a broad range of areas, including:
- spill response
- toxic tort and contaminated lands litigation
- environmental arbitration and mediation
- forestry disputes, including environmental protests
- clean-up of contaminated sites
- class action law suits
- complex insurance matters triggered by environmental claims
- defence of charges under federal and provincial legislation, including administrative monetary penalties
- proactive advice on compliance and operating approvals
- advising and responding to orders and investigations
We regularly advise private sector corporations, municipalities and individuals charged with environmental offences or named in government compliance and remediation orders. We have been involved in numerous cases involving Indigenous communities and the duty-to-consult process.
Our environmental advocates have appeared before the federal and provincial courts, as well as administrative tribunals and boards.