Robert practises corporate and commercial law in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate structures, partnerships, joint ventures, shareholders' agreements, reorganizations, corporate governance and forestry law.
He is the national leader of the firm’s Forestry Law specialization.
- C$32.4 million divestiture of a tie treating business and related manufacturing facility.
- US$180-million acquisition of a fleet control technology equipment company by court-approved plan of arrangement.
- Acquisitions of several insurance restoration companies and businesses.
- C$232-million acquisition of an insurance company by court-approved plan of arrangement.
- C$39-million acquisition of the Fort St. James sawmill from Canfor.
- US$457.5-million acquisition of three oriented strand board facilities and related assets in Minnesota from Potlatch Corporation.
- C$56-million acquisition of an oriented strand board facility and related assets in Slave Lake, Alberta from Weyerhaeuser.
- C$163-million acquisition of Norske Skog Canada MacKenzie Pulp Limited.
- Acquisition of the High Level Lumber Division of Daishowa-Marubeni International Ltd. in Alberta.
- C$109-million acquisition of Repap Manitoba Inc.
- Negotiation, settlement and formation of partnership structures for a pellet plant facility, OSB facility, green energy facility, bio fuel facility, marketing of kraft paper, and real estate development and marketing projects.
- Negotiation and settlement of numerous joint venture arrangements for various types of other businesses, including shareholders’ agreements, general partnership agreements, limited partnership agreements, limited liability partnership agreements and joint venture agreements.
- Conversions by limited companies to ULCs and by ULCs to limited companies.
- Incorporations, amalgamations, continuations, corporate reorganizations and wind-ups.
- Regulatory issues under the Forest Act and the Forest and Range Practices Act in connection with a C$1.1-billion sale of coastal timber assets to Brascan.
- Regulatory issues under the Forest Act in connection with a $40/share take-over of Riverside Forest Products Ltd.
- Negotiation and settlement of road-use agreements, market logging agreements, chip, pulplog and other forms of fibre supply agreements, sawlog supply agreements, pulp sales agreements and tenure management agreements.
- Negotiation and settlement of all phases of logging contracts in the coastal and interior regions of British Columbia, including those that are subject to the provisions of the Timber Harvesting Contract and Subcontract Regulation.
Beyond Our Walls
- Trustee, Canadian Athletic Foundation, 2001-present.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® for Natural Resources Law (since 2008), Mergers & Acquisitions (since 2015), and Corporate Law (since 2020).
- Recognized in the 2021 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Forestry Law) and in the 2018 (and since 2012) editions (Corporate Mid-Market).
Bar Admission & Education
- Alberta, 2001
- British Columbia, 1994
- LLB, University of Alberta, 1993
- B.Comm, University of British Columbia, 1990