Financial technology (FinTech) has been proven to maximize the efficiency, transparency, scalability and customer satisfaction of financial services businesses – a promise that has technology-forward businesses working to disrupt and innovate in the delivery of traditional financial services. To be an active player in the fintech industry, you need to anticipate what’s next and be a champion for emerging technologies, delivery models, applications and software. You also need to stay on top of increasing regulatory scrutiny and legal requirements. Our seasoned legal team combines unique skill sets and expertise with cross-practice service experience, making us well positioned to help clients navigate in this changing environment and overcome any obstacles that may arise.
Navigating the new era of digital finance requires trusted advisors
Businesses of all sizes, from ambitious start-ups to blue chip enterprises, come to BLG to have confidence when adopting emerging technologies. We have one of Canada’s leading financial services teams with over twenty FinTech lawyers from diverse practice areas and specializations in offices across the country. We provide practical and trusted advice on electronic banking, funds transfers, payments, digital wallets and stored value, digital assets and currencies, derivatives and financial instruments, distributed ledger technology, and many other financial products and services in the FinTech ecosystem.
- Advised many clients with respect to new mobile and online financial products and services including partnerships with financial institutions, FinTech organizations and other new and innovative financial services developers.
- Advised a major international payments company related to several of its new and evolving business models, the creation of its two Canadian entities and related application to Canadian regulatory authorities for approval, and the structuring its new global payments products in Canada
- Advised one of the top 10 North American credit and debit card-acquiring companies on regulatory, payments, tax and corporate advice, incorporating its Canadian subsidiary and providing ongoing support to its operations
- Advised several crypto trading platforms on managing financial services regulatory reviews, establishing Canadian subsidiaries, product development, obtaining regulatory approvals and establishing AML and sanctions regulatory regime.
- Assisted one of the top 50 global FinTech companies on ongoing regulatory, payments, tax and corporate advice
- Assisted a multinational financial services corporation on the structuring and development of new products, including the development of a new Buy Now Pay Later product and the structuring of a new offering in the digital currency world. We are also providing ongoing advice on consumer protection, anti-money laundering and the regulation of financial institutions.
- Assisted numerous financial institutions, payment networks and FinTechs with product and service design for compliance with federal and provincial statutory regimes in connection with consumer lending, buy-now-pay-later, payment card acquiring and processing and outsourcing.
- Helped a Canadian government agency develop and publish a thorough report on the regulatory burden for FinTech companies in Canada in areas of lending, payments and investment advice.
- Represented Central 1 Credit Union in the development and launch of a new phase in Canada of Central 1’s mobile payment application for debit card purchases using a cardholder’s account with their credit union.
- Advised Peoples Trust Company in their onboarding of new prepaid card products across a range of innovative fintech programs.
- Advised Arxnovum in creating a marketplace competitive advantage, by registering it as the first crypto-specific exempt market dealer and portfolio manager in Canada.
- Partnered with BlockFilm to advise and assist on the launch of its global digital platform. Working with BLG, BlockFilm obtained a novel decision from the Canadian Securities Administrators exempting it from certain securities regulatory requirements.
"When there are regulatory issues, we think of BLG because they understand our unique position. For things that are outside of the box they are creative thinkers, interested not only in the tech aspects, but on the business side too."
“BLG has a particularly strong payments practice and is also noted for its product structuring capabilities. BLG has also worked on a number of innovative digital banking mandates.”
National Group Head, Specialized Business Law
National Group Head, Specialized Business Law
- Banking & Financial Services
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Credit Unions & Cooperatives
- [See more on full bio]