Recreational cannabis was legalized in October, but the impacts on real estate in Ontario continue to unfold. This event will address many questions on the minds of real estate practitioners, including:
- Can I lease space to a cannabis retailer? What should I consider before our lease is finalized?
- How is the Ontario government and my municipal government ensuring that the production, distribution and retailing of cannabis is done effectively and considers other property uses?
- What can we learn from other jurisdictions that have legalized cannabis?
- How are mortgage lenders and property insurers dealing with cannabis operations?
- Are there more real estate opportunities in Ontario related to the cannabis industry? Are there some uses that are already over-saturated?
With an ever-evolving legal and regulatory regime, an untested approach to retail in Ontario, and constantly fluctuating markets, this is sure to be a lively and thought-provoking presentation.
Moderator: Tamila Ivanov, Senior Associate, BLG
Karen Fung, Vice President, Transaction Advisory Services, Restructuring, Ernst & Young Inc.
Adam Walsh, Vice President, General Counsel, ChoiceREIT