Borden Ladner Gervais LLP is pleased to provide you with the second edition of its Report New Opportunities in the Alberta Electricity Market, A BLG Overview.
The Province of Alberta has begun the process to solicit investment in the development of 5,000 MW of new renewable power projects in Alberta. This is required to facilitate Alberta's commitment to phase out its coal plants by 2030, and to ensure that 30% of Alberta's generation will come from renewable sources by 2030. These factors together with several other significant policy and market changes have created business opportunities.
BLG's Electricity Markets Group is regularly asked to assist industry participants and potential entrants into the Alberta Electricity Market better understand:
- the structure of the market
- the applicable legislation, regulations and governing agencies
- the existing characteristics of Alberta's load and its generation mix
- the way in which electricity prices are determined in Alberta, and, most importantly
- the recent developments that have occurred to create business opportunities for them in the Alberta Electricity Market
The Report is designed to provide helpful general information about some legal issues to consider, whether you are a prospective power project developer, investor, lender, constructor, operator or other participant in the market.