Michael provides strategic guidance to clients in the areas of labour, employment, human rights and privacy law.
He regularly acts as employment counsel on corporate transactions on issues such as executive compensation, employee liabilities, employee retention, workplace restructuring, group benefit plans and equity and non-equity-based incentive compensation plans. Michael often interacts with clients in the United States and overseas.
Michael counsels employers on how to manage their workplaces effectively. This includes:
- dismissals and disciplinary measures
- compensation and benefit plans
- employment agreements, workplace policies and workplace investigations
- collective bargaining
- arbitration grievances
- labour board proceedings
- language issues
- non-competition, non-solicitation and other restrictive covenants
- discrimination and harassment claims
- employee-related privacy law issues
- bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings
Throughout his career, Michael has assisted Indigenous employers with labour relations issues affecting their workforces. He has traveled to Indigenous communities across Canada to present and consult on workforce matters.
Michael sits on the Board of Directors of the Sylvan Adams YM-YWHA (Ben Weider JCC).