Cait is an experienced litigator with a broad litigation and dispute resolution practice. She frequently represents clients in complex commercial disputes, capital markets litigation, and in competition/antitrust and securities class actions.
In addition, Cait has extensive securities litigation experience, acting for dealers and individuals in civil and regulatory proceedings as well as investigations conducted by the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada, and the Ontario Securities Commission.
Cait is also experienced in representing companies in contested mergers and acquisition transactions. She was seconded to the Ontario Securities Commission for a one year term in 2008/2009, where she acted as Litigation Counsel in the Enforcement Branch.
- Competition class actions – acts for clients in defending precious metals, foreign exchange, automotive components, bearings, optical disk drives, and other claims.
- Broker Liability Claims – represented dealer and advisor in successfully defending a broker liability claim at trial.
- Re: Hecla Mining Company and Dolly Varden Silver Corporation – represented Dolly Varden in successfully responding to an application heard simultaneously by the OSC and BCSC to cease trade a private placement financing and in successfully bringing an application to cease trade Hecla's insider take-over bid of Dolly Varden until such time as it obtained a formal valuation pursuant to s. 2.3 of MI 61-101.
- OSC No Contest Settlement – represented securities dealer in OSC no-contest settlement regarding allegations of control and supervision inadequacies in respect of fees.
- In the Matter of the Liquidation of LWP Capital Inc. – represented the Liquidator in an inventory valuation dispute.
- Orbixa Technologies Inc. v. Ribero et al. – represented securities broker in successfully opposing a motion for relief from the deemed undertaking rule to provide information obtained in a civil proceeding to regulators.
- Re: Agueci et al. – acted for a Respondent in an insider trading prosecution brought by the OSC.
- Re: Northern Securities Inc. et al. – acted for IIROC in a regulatory hearing relating to a trading practice which improperly obtained access to credit for the firm's client.
- French v. Karas et al. – acted for mutual fund dealer in defence of a class action proceeding.
- Sino-Forest Corporation – represented short-seller in various capacities.
- Magna International Inc. v. Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board – acted for institutional shareholders in regulatory and civil litigation proceedings regarding the collapse of a dual class share structure.
- Re: DBSL – acted for IIROC in successfully responding to a motion to stay disciplinary proceedings arising out of DBSL's participation in the third-party asset backed commercial paper market.
- Re: Biovail – acted as OSC Litigation Counsel in regulatory hearing regarding misleading statements made by Biovail about the financial implications of a multi-vehicle truck accident on the company's financial results.
Beyond Our Walls
- Secretary, The Advocates' Society's Securities Litigation Practice Group
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section Regional Sub-Committee (Canada) on White Collar Crime
- Member, Canada Committee, Human Rights Watch
- Member, U of T International Human Rights Program Alumni Committee
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2021 edition of Chambers Canada – Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business (Litigation: Securities- Ontario)
- Recognized in the 2021 edition (and since 2018) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Corporate and Commercial Litigation).
- Recognized in the 2020 edition (and since 2018) of Benchmark Canada – The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys.
- Recognized in the 2018 edition of Benchmark Canada 40 and Under Hotlist.
- Recognized in the 2020 edition of the Benchmark Top 50 Women in Canada
- Recognized in the 2019 edition of Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation).
- Recognized as a 2018 Lexpert® Rising Star.
Bar Admission & Education
- Ontario, 2007
- BA, Trent University, 2003
- JD, University of Toronto, 2006