To better assist companies on their digital transformation journey, BLG is launching a 3-part webinar series on artificial intelligence (May 4), the metaverse (May 18) and the Internet of things (June 8).
Register today to get key pointers and cross-jurisdictional perspectives from international specialists from Canada, the U.S. and Europe. We invite you to submit any questions or topics you would like to see covered during one of these events, using the Registration link.
You can register for specific sessions or the full series.
Part 2 | The metaverse
May 18 at 9 a.m. PST | 12 p.m. EST | 4 p.m. GMT
As virtual worlds now defy geographical limitations, companies are invited to connect with markets in creative new ways. In just 30 minutes, learn how certain domestic laws apply in virtual environments and how to protect your intellectual property.
- How will existing laws in various jurisdictions be applied to metaverse-related issues? Is metaverse-specific legislation on its way? If so, in what areas of law?
- What business opportunities exist in the metaverse, beyond marketing?
- How do persons protect their intellectual property in the metaverse?
- Moderator: Julie Bogle, Partner, BLG
- Industry expert: Ryan Kieffer, Chief Metaverse Officer, Terrazero
- U.S. lawyer: Scott McKinney, Partner, Wilson Sonsini
- EU lawyer: Moritz Holm-Hadulla, Gleiss Lutz (the first German firm to open an office in the metaverse)
- Canadian lawyer: LuAnne Morrow, Partner, BLG
Part 1 | Artificial intelligence (AI)
(This event was held on May 4, 2023.)
AI-powered business solutions are developing fast. In just 30 minutes, learn where applicable laws are heading in Canada, the U.S. and Europe. How will your company deploy advanced technology across jurisdictions? How will data breaches be governed?
- How is AI regulation progressing across jurisdictions?
- How would AI regulation interact with existing legal frameworks, such as privacy and data protection?
- What are the key legal and risk management challenges for businesses designing, developing, making available or using AI systems?
- Moderator: François Joli-Coeur, Partner, BLG
- U.S. Lawyer: Michael Bahar, Partner, Eversheds
- Industry expert: Marc-Etienne Ouimette, Principal, AWS Global AI/ML Public Policy, Amazon
Part 3 | Internet of things (IoT): Cross-Jurisdictional Legal Perspectives
(This event will be held on June 8 at 10 a.m. PST | 1 p.m. EST | 5 p.m. GMT)
Connected devices are enjoying a boom in health care, life sciences, transportation, infrastructure, manufacturing, finance, agriculture and other industries. In just 30 minutes, we examine how Canada and other jurisdictions are regulating the Internet of things (IoT) to ensure its safe deployment.
- What are the regulatory frameworks concerning IoT, across jurisdictions?
- What are the current challenges in terms of compliance and how could the requirements evolve?
- What are some best practices for businesses developing and deploying IoT solutions on a cross-border scale?
- Moderator: Edona Vila, Partner, BLG
- U.K. & EU Perspectives: Katie Chandler, Partner, Taylor Wessing
- U.S. Perspective: To be announced
- Industry expert: To be announced
If you have any questions about this event, please email Caitlin Jennings at [email protected]