A successful development depends on having a skilled legal team with the expertise and project management experience to advise throughout the approvals process while simultaneously establishing a strong case on appeal.
Defending smart and sustainable communities also requires legal advice to ensure that the policy framework can withstand appeals and successfully reflect the municipality’s long-term vision.
Our expertise is broad – from advancing complex development applications to defending large municipal plans against numerous appellants, our lawyers have the legal experience and litigation mindset to successfully represent our clients before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal and all levels of court.
We can help you assemble the right team of experts to advance your project. Our diverse land use practice offers expertise in all aspects of law affecting development, including:
- planning approvals and appeals
- development charges
- other municipal fees and charges, including parkland and Section 37 contributions
- cost-sharing agreements
- brownfield redevelopment
- property tax
- arbitration and appellant advocacy
Although our lawyers have a proven track record at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, we recognize that not every case must go to litigation.
Our Municipal Group has the expertise to assist you with all components of project approval, including:
- negotiating approval instruments, conditions for development approval and settlement agreements
- developing a community engagement strategy to avoid appeals, where possible
- preparing all forms of development agreements, from complex subway access management agreements to crane swing and tieback, cost sharing and encroachment agreements
We represent a broad range of clients, including:
- regional and local municipalities
- public sector agencies and Crown corporations
- school boards and health care providers
- large pension funds
- telecommunications and infrastructure companies
- developers of all sizes
- individual landowners
- ratepayer and public interest groups
We also have a leading Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly the Ontario Municipal Board) litigation practice.