Nick practises corporate and commercial law, and serves as a trusted advisor to key clients of the Firm.
He has been recognized for his practical business and legal advice, and for leading teams of professionals to successfully implement large legal projects.
Nick has significant expertise handling mergers & acquisitions, financings, joint ventures, partnerships, reorganizations and divestitures. He also advises U.S. and international businesses on entering the Canadian market, and he is skilled at coordinating national teams of subject matter experts to ensure clients receive expert advice on all aspects of doing business in Canada, whatever the sector, and across provinces and territories.
In recent years, a significant portion of his practice has involved representing large charities, not-for-profits and other “broader public sector” organizations on a variety of strategic transactions, including:
- Public Hospitals and other Health Services Providers
- developing system capacity during COVID-19 through the establishment of temporary hospital sites, and contractual collaborations between various health services providers, municipalities and other stakeholders to provide COVID-19 related support and services.
- structuring and implementing transactions that integrate Ontario’s health care system or further patient care by expanding collaborations across organizations and practitioners, including the formation of Ontario Health Teams
- capital redevelopment projects and public-private partnerships
- developing alternative revenue generation strategies that do not jeopardize tax exempt status
- financing (both traditional borrowing facilities and capital markets/debenture financing)
- real property acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships
- research collaborations (including university/hospital arrangements, commercialization of intellectual property, and investments in early-stage tech startups)
- arrangements with foundations, auxiliaries, volunteer associations, research institutes and other similar entities
- governance matters
- Higher Education
- structuring arrangements between universities and their foundations
- structuring revenue generation activities (including: executive education, student housing, commercialization of research, etc.)
- Advising municipalities of their rights and obligations under the Housing Services Act, including exercising statutory remedies (managing projects in difficulty) and restructuring housing services providers
Within BLG, Nick is the Regional Manager of the Corporate Commercial Group. He is a member of the firm's Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiative.
He is also the Co-Chair of BLG's Health Sector Services Group, and regularly provides advice to boards, committees and senior management on sensitive, complex or strategically imperative matters.
He is also a sought-after speaker and educator, having participated as a member of the Ontario Hospital Association's teaching faculty where he has taught the “Essentials Certificate in Governance for New Directors” and other governance courses since 2014.
Nick summered and articled with BLG, and as a student he was seconded to Scotiabank's General Counsel's Office.
Nick provides legal services through a Law Corporation.