Jonathan provides advice and representation to multinational companies on a variety of environmental and product compliance matters, including extended producer responsibilities, dangerous goods transportation, GHS, regulated wastes, consumer product and food safety, and contaminated lands matters. He assisted in the founding of one of North America’s first Circular Economy Producer Responsibility Organizations and provides advice and representation to a number of domestic and international industry groups in respect of resource recovery obligations.
Jonathan is a Partner and a member of the firm's Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) leadership team. He is a frequent speaker and writer on environmental issues and has authored numerous publications.
As the International Bar Association’s first Sustainability Officer, Jonathan is spearheading a strategic relationship with the World Business Council Sustainable Development on its Circular Economy Program. Prior to joining BLG, he headed a national firm’s Environmental practice group.
Jonathan is actively involved in numerous initiatives across the environmental industry, including:
Plastics and packaging
- International project development for regional/global plastic waste management
- Works with consulting firms for plastic packaging projects, including beverage containers and legacy plastics pollution risk management
- Creating independent producer responsibility organizations to meet regulated resource recovery obligations for hardware and lighting
- Advises appliance sector industry association in Resource Recovery and Circular Economy Act obligations
- Founding member of one of North America’s first producer responsibility organizations under end-of-life tire laws
- Advises industry on regulated resource recovery obligations for EV batteries and tires
- Part of strategic international working group on tire environmental market opportunities
- Actively involved with International Aviation Waste Management Association
- Provided airport waste assessment for public and private industry stakeholders
Textiles and apparel
- Founded international joint venture for Canada’s first circular economy clothing project
- Strategic advisor to Canada's principal textile recycling proponent
- Together with a European Commission research organization, advancing commercial food packaging standards for industry use in biogas production
- Represent a principal Canada-wide proponent of recycling certain medical devices
- Represent anaerobic digestion proponents in international renewable natural gas markets
Waste to energy
- In Sault Ste. Marie, negotiated Canada's first municipal solid waste to energy agreement
- Represent proponents in Canada's two legally-mandated Renewable Natural Gas markets