Rick focuses on the defence of personal injury, property claims, municipal liability matters, product liability, police liability, disability claims and motor vehicle accident tort insurance claims, with a specialization in accident benefits.
His responsibilities include all aspects of managing litigation files, including:
- drafting opinions and reports
- managing and reporting on documents
- preparing pleadings and briefs
- Interviewing witnesses and investigation
- all aspects of discovery preparation including preparation of Affidavit of Documents
- arranging independent medical examinations
- summarizing evidence during discovery and trial
- preparing for trials and attendance at small claims trials
- conducting legal research
- participating in settlement conferences and mediations
Rick's scope of knowledge includes:
- the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule
- the Insurance Act (and other underlying regulations)
- the Small Claims Court Act
- the Rules of Civil Procedure
- the Courts of Justice Act
- the Dispute Resolution Practice Code
- the City of Toronto Act
- the Highway Traffic Act
He has represented clients in mediations, pre-hearings and arbitrations before the Financial Services Commission of Ontario and in small claims court.
He also acts as a supervisor in mentoring paralegal students from various colleges for their placements at BLG.