Innovation in medical technology is creating an ever-changing landscape in healthcare and life sciences. You need a well-versed legal team with the experience to remain at the forefront of new technology and represent you on all matters relevant to your business, whether you are an early-stage or established company.
With Canada’s leading healthcare and life sciences practices, BLG’s Medtech Group brings a collaborative and disciplined approach to helping you with all your legal needs, including:
- helping you commercialize
- protecting your intellectual property
- assisting with regulatory issues
- managing risk
- resolving disputes
We have extensive experience when it comes to the challenges early-stage companies face, acting as preferred business advisers to those who want to build quickly enterprise value. Our group works with our clients to come up with efficient and cost-effective solutions that work for them.
We understand the science and technology on which your business is built. Many of our lawyers and registered patent and trademark agents hold PhDs or Master’s Degrees in related fields. We work together to help you balance marketing, regulatory and intellectual property concerns with successful financing and business strategies.
We cover the whole range of regulatory advice on medical devices, including Health Canada regulation, provincial regulation of health care, regulated health professionals, health institutions, health funding, software as a medical device, controlled acts authorized to particular health professionals and advertising/conflict of interest rules.
Our professionals provide valuable insight into your business to help you achieve success wherever you are in your company’s life cycle.
- commercial agreements, including development agreements, IP licensing agreements, customer agreements, service arrangements, manufacture and supply agreements, NDAs and joint ventures
- medtech technology and systems procurement
- intellectual property protection including patents, trade secrets, trademarks and copyright
- medical device regulatory advice
- privacy and data protection
- mergers and acquisitions, including private equity buyouts, divestitures and restructuring transactions
- corporate matters including shareholder agreements, founder compensation plans and corporate governance
- fundraising and raising capital, including financing, venture capital, private equity and initial public offerings
- risk management advice
- representation in all manner of disputes, including regulatory proceedings, medical device product liability, class actions, and technology-related contract disputes
BLG is a significant contributor to the medtech ecosystem in Canada. Whether it is advising hospitals on procurement, representing government agencies on funding medtech companies, helping medtech companies directly with their funding, regulatory, intellectual property or corporate needs or working closely with universities and tech transfer offices, we cover the spectrum of legal requirements for our clients.
Members of our team actively contribute to the life sciences/medtech community locally, regionally and nationally. With experience working with leading industry participants, our professionals provide valuable insights to all of our clients, including those entering the Canadian market.