Laurie assists clients with tax litigation and dispute resolution, from the audit and objection stages to appeals before the courts.
Her practice involves:
- resolving and litigating, if necessary, tax issues such as the GAAR and tax avoidance, computation of profit, the meaning of inventory, interest deductibility, transfer pricing, deductibility of certain benefits, treaty interpretation, and corporate reorganizations
- assisting with complex tax audits
- ensuring that tax authorities operate within lawful parameters regarding their demands for information and documentation
- correcting non-compliance issues
- representing corporate taxpayers in sales tax, fuel tax and other commodity tax disputes
- pursuing judicial reviews in connection with the actions of taxing authorities
- obtaining rectification and related equitable remedies related to transactions with unintended tax consequences
- assisting clients participating in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Voluntary Disclosure Program
Laurie regularly appears before all levels of courts in Alberta and has appeared before the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Laurie has completed the Chartered Professional Accountants Canada in-depth tax course.
Within our firm, Laurie is currently Regional Group Manager of Specialized Business Law and National Leader of our Tax Disputes and Litigation Group.
Laurie provides legal services through a Law Corporation.