Éloïse is recognized internationally as a pioneer in the field of privacy and she co-leads the firm's national Privacy and Data Protection practice. She offers strategic advice relating to best business practices relevant to the monetization of big data and the use of artificial intelligence, in addition to providing support in crisis management situations (e.g. security breaches, privacy commissioners’ investigations, class actions) both nationally and internationally. She also advises companies and their board of directors on the management of personal information and the protection of privacy, including on issues relating to compliance, risk management, ethics and data governance.
"She is fantastic; extremely reactive, very pragmatic, very enthusiastic and solutions-driven."
"She focuses on the practical implications and impacts of any opinion she's giving. She's very diligent, very responsive and very well organized."
"She's been extremely insightful and is definitely an expert in the area of cross-border data flow."
- Advised a consumer credit company in the response to a global security breach, including providing assistance relating to privacy regulators’ investigation.
- Conducted global compliance assessments and implementation programs for Fortune 300 clients in the technology, media, financial services.
- Assisted a Fortune 300 in the management of a large security incident involving ransomware.
- Developed a framework for SOQUIJ to manage privacy risks when developing new solutions and products relying on Artificial Intelligence (referenced in the recent 2018 Quebec AI Committee report).
- Conducted a comprehensive review of the client data privacy and security practices for one of Canada’s largest retailers.
- Provided a legal opinion for a Fortune 300 financial institution business practice involving big data analytics and the development of consumer scores.
- Led investigation of sophisticated cyberattack for a financial services company and its board of directors.
- Defended a global technology company that specializes in Internet-related solutions relating to privacy class actions.
- Assisted a large media company to comply with privacy law when deploying cutting-edge marketing strategies.
Beyond Our Walls
- Board Member, Fédération de natation du Québec (FNQ)
- Member, COVID-19 Exposure Notification App Advisory Council (Government of Canada)
- Member, Canadian Chamber of Commerce Innovations & IP Committee
- Researcher, Centre de recherche en droit public and Regroupement Droit changements et gouvernance, Université de Montréal
- Member, Canadian Technology Law Association (CAN-TECH Law)
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2022 edition of Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Honored by Canadian Lawyer magazine as a one of the 25 most influential lawyers (in 2016 and in 2021).
- Recognized in the 2022 and previous editions of Chambers Canada — Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business (Band 1 - Privacy & Data Protection)
- Recognized in the 2022 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Advertising & Marketing Law; Computer & IT Law; Data Protection & Privacy; Technology Transactions), 2021 edition (Advertising & Marketing Law) and in 2021 and previous editions (Computer and IT Law)
- Recognized in the 2016-2021 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada®- (Privacy and Data Security Law) and as "Information Technology and Privacy and Data Security Lawyer of the Year — Montréal" in the 2019 and in the 2021 editions
- Recognized in the 2021 and 2020 edition of Lexpert Special Edition: Technology
- Recognized in the 2020 edition of Who's Who Legal (Data & Privacy Protection).
- 2019 Québec Businesswoman Award (Prix Femmes d’affaires du Québec) in the Executive, Manager or Professional, Private Company category
- Recognized in Acritas Stars 2019: Independently Rated Lawyer (Nominated as a stand-out lawyer by senior in-house counsel)
- Selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Most Influential Women in Canada by the Women's Executive Network (WXN) in the “CIBC Trailblazers & Trendsetters” category for 2018
- Recognized by Lexpert® with a 2017 Zenith Award —Celebrating Women in Law
Bar Admission & Education
- Québec, 1998
- LLD (Hons.), Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas and Université de Montréal, 2012
- LLM, Université de Montréal (IT law), 2002
- LLB, Université de Montréal, 1997
- ICD.D., Corporate Governance, Institute of Corporate Directors, 2022