Artificial intelligence’s promise is a solution to every problem, from cancer to climate change. Its perils — privacy violations, human rights offences, cyber attacks and more — are the stuff of science fiction. Eighty per cent of Canadian C-level executives fear going out of business if they can’t scale AI, but there are no international standards for governance, law-makers are playing catch-up and AI-related litigation is on the rise.
We can help you
- Conduct privacy impact assessments and compliance exercises to mitigate risks related to evolving Canadian privacy and AI laws.
- Draft notices about the use of AI systems for decision-making.
- Assist with the development of ethical data governance and de-identification programs that maximize data value while complying with regulations and contracts.
- Respond to privacy-related inquiries and investigations.
- Manage security breaches.
- Protect and defend your AI-related intellectual property, including the IP created by the technology itself.
- Determine user rights to data, including the potential applicability of the fair use and research exceptions to legal copyright in Canada.
- Conduct appropriate due diligence on AI-related companies during a merger or acquisition.
- Start a new AI company, including formation, branding and trademarks, stock options, warrant grants, corporate governance, unanimous shareholder agreements and employment agreements.
- Obtain financing, whether through venture capital, private financing or commercial partnerships.
- Draft, negotiate and defend contracts related to AI-powered products.
- Respond to litigation on everything from intellectual property to product liability related to AI technology.
These are exciting and uncertain times. Whether you’re wondering about the ethical implications of using AI-powered software for recruiting employees or concerned about who owns the rights to data generated by the autonomous vehicles used in your mining operations, we’d be happy to answer your questions and give you peace of mind, based on our expertise in both AI and your particular industry.