Changes in climate and weather patterns are rapidly affecting the way you do business, making it more important than ever to understand how the law affects you.
You need a legal firm that can help you understand the evolving policies and regulations to navigate new challenges, requirements and opportunities.
Our lawyers can help you understand Canadian and international environmental policies and regulations, such as the Western Climate Initiative, the European Union Greenhouse Gas Emission Trading System, and provincial emissions requirements and opportunities.
Our expertise in climate change matters includes:
- devising programs to meet emission requirements
- negotiating and drafting renewable energy agreements for the purchase and sale of emission reduction credits and verified emissions reductions
- structuring and managing comprehensive environmental due diligence programs as part of environmental assessments
- environmental and land-use planning, permitting and regulatory compliance
- dispute resolution and/or litigation
We work with lawyers in other specialized areas to advise on complex regulatory matters, such as:
- advising on continuous disclosure through National Instrument 51-102
- identifying and mitigating risk
- resolving climate change disputes
- advising on the impact of carbon taxes
With our solid background in, and knowledge of, climate change and the potential issues, we can quickly provide advisory services to help you avoid greater cost and mitigate risk.
We serve clients in a range of areas and sectors, including:
- industrial emitters
- oil & gas
- pipelines and related projects
- energy suppliers and power generation
- natural resource developers (forestry and mining)
Our team has worked in climate change for many years, and understand the implications climate change laws can have on your business.