An experienced litigator in all aspects of products law, George brings deep understanding of risk and regulatory concerns for designers, manufacturers, importers and distributors of products across various industry sectors. From automobiles to consumer and industrial products and software, BLG's client trust George's practical approach to litigation to handle the most complex and challenging of cases. His business-orientated approach to helping clients navigate risks relating to their products goes beyond litigation, and includes strategic advice regarding product warnings, labelling, advertising as well as safety issues and recalls, including regulatory concerns and investigations and proceedings by statutory and regulatory bodies. He has both jury and non-jury trial experience.
George also defends architects and engineers in various construction related claims. He also regularly defends municipalities in infrastructure related claims, including roadway design and maintenance.
A recognized thought-leader and speaker on topics at the intersection of technology, innovation, business and law – think autonomous systems, artificial intelligence, and the Internet of Things - George's "what's next" approach to the law and risk management provides his clients with creative forward-thinking advice helping them to avoid and solve the small and big problems facing their business.
- Defending various automotive OEMs defending claims relating to airbags, timing chains, emissions systems, seatbelts and electrical and engine failures.
- Defending worldwide leading RV companies.
- Defending a world leading appliance and household good manufacture in various product related claims.
- Defending a sport wear and product company against the unauthorized sale of its products.
- Counsel to an international tobacco manufacturer regarding the deployment of various vapour and e-cigarette products and providing strategic advice concerning warnings and labelling.
- Defending a home products company regarding water coolers.
- Defending engineers and architects relating to building claims, including cold storage facilities.
- Defending municipalities in infrastructure and construction related claims.
- Defending boiler manufacturers for claims arising from property damage and personal injury.
- Defense of recreational vehicle manufacturer for claims arising from use of all-terrain vehicles.
- Defending power tool manufacturers for claims arising from the use of various products and tools.
- Defense of an international bottle manufacturer regarding wine bottles.
Successfully defended a work boot manufacturer against design and manufacturing claims, including a successful application before the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeal Tribunal.
Beyond our Walls
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Member, Canadian Defense Lawyers
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Hockey Helps the Homeless
Awards & Recognitions
- Mildred K. Walters Academic Award, Queen’s University, 2005
- Reuben Wells Leonard Prize in Aboriginal Law, Queen’s University, 2005
- R.W. Leonard Prize in Immigration and Refugee Law, Queen’s University, 2005
- Fraser Milner Casgrain Award, Queen’s University, 2005
- J.S.D. Tory Writing Award, Queen’s University, 2005
- George M. Hood (SC'43) Award, Queen’s University, 2005
- Elwin and Beverly Derbyshire Academic Achievement Award, Queen’s University, 2005
- Cassels Brock & Blackwell Award in Constitutional Law and Human Rights, Queen’s University, 2005
- Sabbath Prize in Comparative Constitutional Law, Queen’s University, 2005
- Chief Justice McRuer Essay Prize, Queen’s University, 2005
Bar Admission & Education
- Ontario, 2006
- LLM, University of Toronto, 2007
- LLB, Queen's University, 2005
- MA, Queen's University, 2001
- BA (Hons.), Queen's University, 2000