Todd practices regulatory and intellectual property law.
In his regulatory law practice, Todd has experience advising federal licence holders and applicants under the Cannabis Regulations, and federal licence holders and applicants under Part J of the Food and Drug Regulations (restricted drugs). For his clients, Todd:
- Advises on regulatory compliance under the Cannabis Act, the Cannabis Regulations, and Part J of the Food and Drug Regulations (restricted drugs), including advising on security cleared personnel requirements of license holders, regulatory compliance of labels and promotional activities related to cannabis products, and cannabis and restricted drug import and export matters;
- Drafts and negotiates agreements related to cannabis and restricted drugs, including supply agreements, white label agreements, service agreements, restricted drug manufacturing agreements, and cannabis plant licensing agreements; and
- Assists in M&A transactions of cannabis-related businesses, including advising on change of control issues for acquired licence holders, regulatory compliance of licence holders, and performing regulatory compliance due diligence of license holders.
In his intellectual property law practice, Todd focuses licensing of intellectual property, advising on intellectual property ownership, and prosecuting patent applications in the high tech, electrical, electronics and mechanical fields. For his clients, he:
- Drafts and negotiates IP licensing agreements;
- Advises on IP ownership generated pursuant to collaborative or sponsored research arrangements, employment agreements and independent contractor agreements;
- Assists in commercial transactions of businesses that hold IP, including performing due diligence of IP assets, and drafting and reviewing representations and warranties related to IP;
- Advises on patentability, patent infringement and patent validity; and
- Prosecutes patent applications in the Canadian and U.S. patent office in high tech and mechanical fields.