Lex advises charities and not-for-profits on corporate and commercial matters. A significant portion of her practice is advising Ontario public hospitals and other health service providers on corporate and regulatory compliance matters, including:
- Advising on corporate compliance with Ontario's Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (ONCA) and the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (CNCA)
- Conducting governance reviews and preparing amendments to governing documents (e.g. articles, corporate and professional staff by-laws, board policies, committee terms of reference) in order to optimize high-quality governance functions and ensure consistency with governance best practices
- Structuring and implementing integrations within Ontario's health care system
- Structuring contractual arrangements with foundations, auxiliaries, volunteer associations, research institutes and other similar entities to ensure long-term alignment while respecting legal separation
- Negotiation of transfer payment agreements
- Advised Toronto-area health service providers in respect of an amalgamation.
Prior to joining BLG, Lex practiced at a boutique firm specializing in tax and corporate matters for charities and not-for-profits. She has been involved in numerous charitable registrations and Canada Revenue Agency audits of registered charities.