Tanner’s practice focuses on tax and corporate law, with an emphasis on indirect and commodity taxes, including goods and services tax (GST), harmonized sales tax (HST), provincial sales taxes (PST) and various industry-specific taxes.
He advises an array of clients across various industries on tax and corporate matters, such as:
- indirect and commodity taxes applicable to both resident and non-resident businesses;
- registration, filing and compliance requirements under the applicable tax legislation;
- planning considerations and risk compliance for non-resident businesses;
- ruling and interpretation requests for review by relevant tax authorities;
- disputes with tax authorities involving input tax credits, tax paid in error and other tax matters;
- tax considerations in purchase and sale agreements, corporate reorganizations and restructurings and mergers and acquisitions;
- private company succession and estate planning; and
- general corporate and commercial matters.
Tanner also assists clients in the non-profit and registered charity sector, including federal non-profit organizations, charitable organizations and private foundations.
Tanner summered with the firm in 2019 as a first-year law student and completed his articling term in 2022 before joining BLG as an associate.