James’ labour and employment practice includes:
- advising employers on many aspects of the employment relationship, including pre-employment representations and establishment of employment contracts
- managing the ongoing employment relationship such as leave of absences issues and performance management
- advising on terminations of employment relationships including pension and benefits entitlements in severance packages
- providing employment law advice in corporate transactions
In his pensions and benefits practice, James advises pension plan stakeholders, including plan sponsors, administrators and service providers on a broad range of matters, including:
- strategic consideration in corporate transactions including the establishment or termination of retirement income plans in purchase and sale transactions.
- pension and benefits plan set-ups and mergers
- transfer of plan assets and liabilities
- due diligence
- letters of credit
- change of trustees and custodians
James regularly makes submission to, and has appeared before, Ontario Courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities on a variety of matters, including pension disputes and wrongful dismissal actions. James has also acted in more than 160 corporate transactions. As well, James has also written numerous articles related to labour and employment and pensions and benefits.