Nous sommes désolés. Le contenu de cette page n'est présentement disponible qu'en anglais.
Raphael practices in insurance and tort liability and commercial litigation.
Raphael's practice includes:
- Complex construction litigation;
- Defending manufacturers against product liability claims;
- Advising insurers on coverage concerns;
- Defending industry professionals, including healthcare professionals against claims of medical malpractice;
- Personal injury defence; and
- Assisting with transport regulatory matters.
Raphael has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta and at various ad hoc domestic and international arbitration proceedings.
- Successfully defended professional engineer in contested APEGA hearing
- Assisted with international arbitral proceedings relating to pipeline construction delays in excess of C$100 million
- Assisted a major Canadian bank with a duty to defend finding before the Alberta Court of Appeal
- Successfully brought applications seeking summary dismissal of a number of medical malpractice claims
- Advised a gene testing laboratory on expanding its operations
- Assisted a First Nation with a complex construction claim against a home developer
- Settled a number of product liability claims against vehicle manufacturers on a without costs basis
Beyond Our Walls
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member-at-large, Law Society of Alberta - Lawyer Competence Advisory Committee, 2022 - 2024
- Board Member, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (Western), 2019-Present
- Assessor, CPLED, 2023 - Present
- Case Law Review Officer, Canadian Bar Association, Insurance Law Section (Alberta South)
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, 2021 - Present
- BLG Race Action Committee, 2022 - Present
- BLG Reads to Kids, 2021 - Present
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2024 edition (and since 2022) of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
Bar Admission & Education
Faculté de droit Osgoode Hall de l'Université York, 2017
Université de Calgary, 2013