Julie’s dual practice focuses on securities registrant regulation and compliance and mergers and acquisitions.
She has considerable experience in advising derivatives and securities market participants on Canadian registration requirements and compliance, as well as risk-management matters. Her clients include:
- dealers, futures commission merchants, commodity trading advisers and foreign exchange dealers
- commodity producers
- physical metal brokers
- domestic and foreign asset managers
She also provides advice on topics such as:
- high frequency and algorithmic trading
- proprietary trading activities
- direct electronic access and presence of unregulated entities in the Canadian market
- the distribution of novel over-the-counter derivative products such as contracts for difference (CFDs) and foreign exchange (FX) to investors in Canada
- provision of agricultural risk management products to Canadian commodity producers
- anti-money laundering and terrorist financing
- corporate reorganizations, acquisitions, mergers and divestitures for both closely and widely-held corporations
Recent work includes the launch of digital platforms, including crowdfunding portals and online advisers. She also has an interest in investment offerings employing artificial intelligence, social trading networks, high-frequency trading, cryptocurrency and other digital assets.
Julie is a member of the Derivatives group which has been recognized as Global Capital’s Canadian Law Firm of the Year for derivatives, an award it has received every year since 2014. During her time at the firm, she was seconded to the Ontario Securities Commission, Registrant Legal Services Division and Mergers & Acquisitions, Take-Over Bids Division. She has also worked in the Canadian Embassy in Warsaw, Poland, and was a market research analyst for several Canadian companies in Eastern Europe.